1. You are on your way to work, when suddenly a wormhole to the far side of the galaxy opens in the middle of the road. You are thus the first to meet the alien being that emerges. Despite your protestations, you are now Earthâ€™s unofficial First Contact ambassador. What will you say to the visitor?
I am of the Stephen Hawking and Iscac Asimov school of inter terrestrial contact school. That meaning that if there is any contact, which if highly doubtful and probably physically unlikely. That being said, if the aliens come, my fist act would be to kill them, as they came here to do us harm. Didn’t any of you see Independence Day>
2. A wandering trading caravan emerges from the wormhole. They plan to stay on Earth for a few weeks, and then will move on to the next planet and the next. Whatever you said must have really impressed them, because they offer to let you and a few other humans come along with them. The only catch is that the caravan probably wonâ€™t be back to Earth. Would you go? Why or why not?
No, I wouldn’t. I haven’t seen all of Earth yet and have no real need, desire to go another planet to live. I kind of want to see space, but I also want the chance to come back home. I enjoy reading some science fiction but I don’t want to live in space.
3. Suppose you decided to go. The master of the caravan will allow you to bring along whatever trinkets and baubles you think will sell on alien worlds, and will also allow you to bring exactly five other items that you may always keep. Clearly, he does not mean practical items like shoes or a toothbrush. What would you bring?
Ok, if I did go, what would I take? Gin, Tonic, Limes and some Lounge music and a Mark Twain anthology. We need to bring the party to the space people!
4. Suppose you decided to stay home after all. The caravan master offers you a parting gift. You may choose among super-brain pills, a flying car, a robot butler, or an invisibility belt. Which would you choose and why?
I am already a mad super geius, so I don’t need the pills. Our society isn’t ready for flying cars yet and and invisibility belt would get tedious after a spell. I so need a robot butler. My life would be so simple if there were someone for the chores. and able to handle my beck and call.
5. Suppose you ended up taking the super-brain pills. You now have a head the size, shape, and color of a watermelon. But you also now have the most fantastic mind the world has ever seen. What would be the first task you set it to?
Wolrd hung. I know, it sounds so boring, but that is a real issue in the world and might as well tackle that. I already have the butler so my needs are met.