1. Of all movie opening scenes, what one sold the entire film the most?
The opening scene of M*A*S*H. by Roger Altman. Most of the film doesn’t hold up in the #metoo world – it is a misogynistic and racist mess. But the opening scene all taken in one shot from the choppers landing to the triage and beginning of surgery really sets the tone.
2. What’s the one horror movie that genuinely terrified you while watching it?
I am not a big fan of the genre, but I did see the Blair Witch Project in a theater with knowing absolutely nothing about it and it scared me shitless!
3. What was your weirdest movie theatre experience?
In the army, on the base in Germany, we had a movie theater and this family almost always showed up with a picnic basket featuring full meals – brisket and potatoes and salad – the whole deal. It was always so odd to observe their obliviousness or, dare I say, genius at their approach to movie watching.
4. What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve brought into the movie theater?
Bourbon to put in the Cokes in order to enjoy sipping through a Red Vines® straw.
5. What used to be extra common in movie theaters that you just don’t see anymore?
The crying baby room (bring that back) and the smoking section (no need for a return).