Please place your caption in the comments.
Please place your caption in the comments.
1. What’s the funniest name you’ve heard someone call an object when they couldn’t remember its actual name?
I had an Army Sargent who coined the term “Thing-a-ma-shit” I truly like that word.
2. What is the funniest movie you have ever watched?
I remember as a child laughing with tears rolling down my face at “Snowball Express” The first time I watched “The Tin Man” it was hilarious.
But funniest movie for me all time? “A Night At The Opera” by the Marx Brothers.
3. What is the funniest lie to tell kids?
The tooth fairy is a hilarious and gruesome concept.
4. What is the best/funniest recurring joke in a TV series?
Favorite: Troy and Abed in the Morning from the closing credits on “Community. ” Runner up: Murphy Brown’s house that was never finished being painted – and her revolving cast of receptionists usually played by someone famous in a cameo.
5. What’s your funniest “I’ve made a huge mistake” moment while cooking?
The now famous in the Nall family – 7 heads of garlic Texas chili. That winter in Gunnison, I was never visited by vampires.
1. Who is the “there’s always one” person at your work?
That “really, really super nice lady” who isn’t very smart but always smiling and needs to be reminded daily or even hourly what her job is and how to do it.
2. What was your “Holy shit. I can’t believe that actually worked.” moment?
My long “sabbatical” that landed me a pretty great job. I was able to hold out until the right job came along.
3. What was something you were super into, but not anymore?
Downloading music from torrents. I was quite the felon but with lots of streaming options and amazing libraries, like Spotify that’s no longer necessary.
In related news, Neil Young has put his entire catalog online and free to download through June.
4. What cool gadget under $200 can be life changing?
Lifesaver, maybe not but I use it a lot – I bought a vintage phone handset from Moshi Moshi years ago, more as a gag and find I use it a lot for long cell phone conversations. You can cradle the handset in your neck, old school and talk to mom for hours and hours and remain comfortable.
If not that, then a decent car GPS that can work where there is no cellular? (I travel in rural Colorado from time to time and an always available map is great.)
5. What is a dirty business tactic that you know and everyone should be aware of it?
Calling the cable company each year to get a new rate – usually works like a charm.
1. What are your favorite mixed alcoholic beverages that don’t require soda?
I nice ice cold gin martini with a kiss of vermouth, shaken and mixed to a 8:1 ration. Served with anything in the fridge that’s cold and pickled. Hard to go wrong.
2. Do you have a New Year’s tradition?
Over the last six or seven years or perhaps more, I have stayed home for New Year’s Eve. I have spent far too many Eve’s waiting for a taxi, a bus or a train to get home. And sure there is Uber and Lyft but keep a keen eye out for their surge pricing for the Eve – it’s quite costly.
3. Do you have a funny New Year’s Eve party memory?
There was a really cold evening that involved an inadequately dressed young man waiting for the bus while carrying a wrapped gift – he has gone down in lore as Bus Guy. And this was early on in the world of first night and the dropping of the ball in Lodo followed by the running of the bulls down 16th St. mall to find a warm place to have a beer. We all still talk about that night.
4. How did you spend the New Year’s Eve in 1999?
Like it was 1969. (Frankly, I can’t remember.
5. Do you make and keep New Year’s resolutions?
I am resolving to not make a resolution this year but instead develop some rituals and habits that will last much longer.
Its beginning to smell a lot like Christmas…
1. Will you be having a white Christmas?
Looks like some snow on Christmas Eve that might stick around for Christmas.
2. Best present you could get/have already received this season?
I bought my self a couple of really cool graphic novels by Chris Ware that I want to wade into this weekend.
3. Egg nog or snogging under the mistletoe?
I am pro eggnog.
4. Is time on your side?
This year, it is – looking forward to a basically stress-free holiday season.
5. Favorite holiday tradition:
Mimosas on Christmas morning.
1. Have you ever written a letter to the editor of your local newspaper?
No, but as a newspaper editor, I have edited and read many letters to the editor and written a few oped columns in reaction to reader’s sentiments.
2. Have you ever called one of your elected officials to tell them your views on an issue important to you?
Yes. Rep. Coffman’s local office gets to hear a piece of my mind on a frequent basis.
3. Have you ever testified during the citizen speak-out portion of a local government meeting?
No – but I have covered several city council meetings in many small communities and highly recommend attending as it can be quite entertaining in a deliberate slow-paced way.
4. Have you ever participated in a protest or demonstration?
Yes, I recall going to an anti war protest in college prior to the first gulf war.
5. If so, were you arrested for doing so?
No arrests – I haven’t been dragged off anywhere.