A Great National Nightmare Ends

I am sitting here this morning contemplating much as I stare at the bright blue sky and the tempting wisps of spring, whose arrival is mere days away. I have the opportunity to take a job in Westmintster and will take a final interview for the position tomorrow afternoon. I find I have no real choice but to take it. I posted my initial reactions to the position on March 3, and after a nine-day temper tantrum I have decided to just bite the bullet and take the job. Although it is a temp-to-hire position, although it is an entry-level position and although initially it offers nothing substantial to contribute to my bottom line, I think, of all the prospects that have been fed my way, it offers the best potential for some security in these troubled times we face. I think, after eight long months of unemployment that it is best to come out from under my rock, brush my teeth, leave the house, greet the world. To interact with members of my species. So I will take the job. It really is a no brainer. Upon completing the annoying three month temporary hire position, it offers a decent wage, great benefits and for a customer service job has very little phone work, concentrating instead on email, database and chat-based programs to solve Western Union customers and service vendor issues. It has a drawback of requiring one weekend day a month as part of its shift, but that is the ugly pill of being the new guy. It has the advantage of later hours, much like I worked at Nextel, so I can take a 2 p.m. to 11 p.m shift, which will make traffic easier. I drove up there yesterday to see where it is, what the commute entails and to gauge the distance. It is a 24 minute drive in rush hour traffic, so I think I can handle that. I have a good number of friends who have a much worse commute. And with a day off in the middle of the week and mornings off, if the position doesn’t pan out, or I find myself not challenged, I can use that time to continue to look for work. So, there you have it. A decision, at least on my part, has been made. I have a hurdle tomorrow afternoon that is left to meet, but according to the placement agency it is more of a formality to make sure I and Finali are a good fit. They meet me, I meet them and we decide if it is going to work. I have no problems with that. Having hired a number of temps in a big hiring net in my past, the whole process makes sense.

  • Finali Corporation
  • Western Union