What 5 albums define your choice in music?
- Elvis Costello – Almost Blue. I first heard this in the army and its mashup of classic country covers with the energy of Costello and his band was infectious at the time and led to my appreciation of the alt-country genre.
- Grisman and Garcia – Shady Grove. I always had Grateful Dead music in my life from the dorms of CU Boulder and Western State in Gunnison as well as a roommate in the army who loved the dead but I was never really into them. Then I found this gem of Jerry’s bluegrass approach that led through a back door into my appreciation of Grateful Dead.
- Bruce Springsteen – Nebraska. A theme album that really showcased his songwriting stripped bare to just the Boss and his guitar.
- Wilco – Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I think it was the movie – “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart” about the making of this album and all the machinations behind it that led me to begin a long appreciation of Wilco.
- Big Head Todd and The Monsters – Midnight Radio. Rare live recordings of their early days as a band and led me to appreciate bootlegs and rare tracks and live acoustic covers and recordings.