1. What unimpressive thing are people stupidly proud of?
The size of their hands. Generally, it means nothing unless you are a professional typist.
2. What’s the best trick a passenger can do to get upgraded?
I travelled from Denver back to Germany in the Army once and I wore my dress uniform and got bumped to first class on a Lufthansa flight. That, friends, was some great flying. Hours and hours of first class bliss in the front row with all the leg room in the world. Next big flight, try that.
3. Americans who have visited Europe, what was your “WTF” moment?
Bidets and the very weird toilets in Germany – we usually referred to them as shit shelves – they are very low water and don’t have a pool of water waiting but instead intense water pressure that squirts the shit, literally, down the drain.
4. Americans, what is your WTF moment when traveling this great country?
Big, weird tourist attractions from the 1940s and 1950s that still exist – most are commemorated at DIA in the “America, Why We Love Her” installation. (I am certain I got that name wrong, but I am close.
5. Have you dropped everything and moved with nothing? How did that turn out? What advice do you have for someone wishing to do the same?
I moved to Denver from Craig with very little savings and no job. After some stumbles along the way, it was worth it.